Westlawn School is a Professional Learning Community (PLC) which is committed to the success of each student. Our dedicated teachers and other staff work closely with our students in bringing a quality educational experience to every student in order to meet the needs of our diverse student population. Each and every day we work together to achieve one collective goal - academic success for all of our students! Most importantly, we set these high standards and expectations within a caring environment for all of our students.
Our students are becoming our community’s future leaders. As such it is essential that they develop competencies as:
- Know How to Learn: to gain knowledge, understanding or skills through experience, study, and interaction with others.
- Think Critically: conceptualize, apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate to construct knowledge.
- Identify and solve complex problems: have the confidence and capacity to solve a range of problems, from simple to complex.
- Manage information: access, interpret, evaluate and use information effectively, efficiently, and ethically.
- Innovate: create, generate and apply new ideas or concepts
- Create opportunities: through play, imagination, reflection, negotiation, and competition, with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Apply multiple literacies: reading, writing, mathematics, technology, languages, media, and personal finance.
- Demonstrate good communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Demonstrate global and cultural understanding: considering the economy and sustainable development.
- Identify and apply career and life skills: through personal growth and well-being
The student is at the centre of all decisions and discussions related to curriculum. He or she is the driver of their own learning. Our students are asked to be involved in a great deal more than their classes. They are expected to become active contributors to their school and their community. Students participate in leadership, school improvement, volunteerism and mentoring in order to learn the skills of active citizenship in the 21st Century.
Parents are valued partners in our educational team and are encouraged to visit the school, consult with the staff and participate in school functions. We encourage each member of our educational team to work together to provide the highest quality educational program possible. I am proud to say Westlawn School is a positive place where everyone learns and succeeds.
Wolf Kolb, M.Ed